Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Interview: Author JB Salsbury Book Fighting to Forget


Fighting to Forget

Every fighter is drawn to the violence, the release that a perfect hit can bring.
But very few are drawn to the pain.
Rex Carter lives behind a wall of indifference. The demons from his childhood act as an anesthetic, keeping him distant from emotional connections. Only the ache from a knock to the jaw, the sting of a tattoo needle, or the heat from a piercing can jolt him back from the numbness. The fiery pain is all he can feel, and nothing compares to the burn.
Or so he thought.
Working in a Las Vegas bar isn’t Georgia McIntyre’s dream. But she hopes it’ll be an end to the nightmare.
She’s watched him, followed him and kept tabs, all in preparation for this moment: to make amends and share the secret she’s been carrying since she was a kid. But she didn’t count on the feelings that seeing him again would stir up, the vacant look in his stormy-blue eyes, and his perfect body now mutilated by ink and metal.
And she knows why. She’s lived his pain every single day, since the day he left.
Changed by time, Rex doesn’t remember the girl from his past. If only she could do the same.
Will she get the absolution she’s spent her life seeking?
Or will he continue Fighting to Forget?

Buy on Amazon

                                                        Interview:

  1. Tell us about your latest book?
Sure thing! Fighting to Forget isn’t your typical romance. It’s a story about two people who bonded as children under the worst possible conditions. They were ripped apart and when they find themselves face to face as adults the side effects from the past have changed them. He remembers nothing, she can’t forget anything. Can they overcome that? And if so, how?

  1. Where did the idea for the book come from?
I wish I could say that my genius brain came up with the idea. When I wrote the first two books in the series, Rex was always so quiet in my head. It’s like he’d be standing in the back corner with a hoodie on patiently waiting for me to slow down, lean in, and listen to what he had to say. I finally did, and he spilled.

There were scenes in this book that would leave me shaky. I was shocked at how dark things got and had no clue where the story would end up. I knew the basics of what Rex went through, but had no clue how deep the hurt went. And Mac… she blew me away. I had no idea how broken she was until midway through writing the book.

When readers get a jolt while reading certain scenes, I can guarantee I was just as shocked when I wrote it.

  1. Who and what inspire you to write?
The characters. They really dictate their story and I can only hope that the writing conveys it well. I’ll hear a song or read an article in the paper and a character will spring to life in my head, fully formed, and ready to be written.

  1. Each author has his or her own inspiring journey. How did you begin writing? I’ve written my whole life, but always in private. I have a whole box full of poems and song lyrics that I wrote through high school and college. I got my degree in Media Communications hoping to become a broadcast journalist, but decided to start a family instead. It wasn’t until I read romance novels for a few years that I thought I should give it a try. Fighting for Flight was my first attempt and now I’m addicted.  

  1. What has been the most pleasant surprise about writing? How about an unexpected down side?

The most pleasant surprise for me is how much fun it is. When I get a solid chunk of time to write I literally get butterflies. I can’t think of any place I’d rather go than neck deep into my own fictional world. What was also surprising was how organically the stories would flow. Again, allowing the characters to unfold and just typing how it plays out, it’s magical.

Downside? I can’t really think of a downside. There are things that are more difficult than others, for example, Fighting to Forget has a disturbing scene that I wasn’t looking forward to writing. I made a promise to myself that I’d stay true to the story and in doing so I’d be forced to write things that were sad and painful to put into words, but in the end it’s so worth it. I think if I’d have chickened out and not included the scene it would’ve been cheating the readers out of the truth.

  1. Do you have any writing rituals?
Comfort is all I need so usually I’m curled up somewhere with my laptop. I always write my first drafts in a cozy place. Rewrites and edits I do more from a desk. Weird, huh?

  1. Do you write your books in order?
Yes. The story plays out in my head just like a movie. I watch and write what I see. Start to finish. In this book I thought I was missing something in the middle so after the book was finished I went back and added a scene, but other than that it’s always beginning to end straight through.

  1. What is on your writing playlist for this book?
Music is so inspiring. I add a playlist on the end of every book. This book is a good mix. Secondhand Serenade, Evanescence, Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, Avenged Sevenfold, and Eminem to name a few.

  1. Any favorite writing snacks?
I have a hard time eating while I write. Usually what ends up happening is six hours will pass and I’ll realize I haven’t eaten or drank anything. I need one of those hats with the beer on each side and tube that goes into my mouth, except mine will be loaded with coffee.

  1. What advice would you give writers who aspire to be published?
Write what you love. I think often times authors get too wrapped up in writing what they think will sell rather than writing what they love. I say if you love it there’s bound to be other readers out there that will love it as well. All you need to do is find them. That’s the hard part.

  1. Are you working on anything new right now?
I’m gearing up to write Eve’s story. I’m really excited about it. I wanted to write Eve’s book early on, but she turned her nose up at every guy I threw her in a room with. There’s a new character that I introduce in Fighting to Forget and the second he made his appearance onto the page Eve perked up big time. Funny too, because it’s not at all the kind of guy I thought she’d like. It went like this…

Eve’s standing tall, shoulders back, her wide eyes fixed on the new guy. It’s the first time I’ve seen her without her head hanging down while she shoves her cheeks full of chocolate so obviously it gets my attention.

I look back and forth between them. He’s glaring down at her and she…blushes?

Me: Eve, really? *I point to the dude* This guy?

Eve: *slow nod*

Me: But…he’s so much older than you, and he’s grumpy as hell.

Eve: *still staring, slow smile creeps across her lips*

*dude tilts his head staring back at Eve, his eyes tighten further*

Me: Alright, Eve. If you say so…

The funny thing is that the more I thought about it and the more she whispered little hints in my ear, the more I realized why she’d be attracted to this guy and in turn how freakin’ perfect they are going to be together AFTER they work through all their crap.



  1. Who is your favorite character in your current book?
Ohhh, that’s a hard question to answer. I’d have to say Rex. Although I love Mac too, there’s something about Rex that’s not only desirable, but he brings out the protective mama-bear in me. He’s an alpha, possessive and fiercely strong, but his brokenness makes him so damn vulnerable it’s hard not to want to pull him into your arms and just hold him. It’s a super cool dynamic that I wasn’t sure I could pull off, but I think it works.

  1. What is your favorite book of all time?
No way can I pick just one. I know, I’m a party pooper. I’d have to say that one book that hit me hard, to the point that I still think about it often even though I read it forever ago is How to Kill a Rock Star by Tiffanie Debartolo. Another one I loved was Sempre by J.M. Darhower. I love J.R. Ward’s Black Dagger Brotherhood Series, and I think I read Divergent by Veronica Roth three times when it first came out. I love Kristen Ashley books, and I think E.L. James is one of the bravest women I’ve ever read. I could go on and on…

  1. Tell us in one sentence why we should read your book.
Fighting to Forget will make you change the way you see people, because everyone has a story and most of them are heartbreaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment